Monday, March 5, 2007

Getting Older

Two Caps And The State of Short Term Memory L...


I placed the old cap on my head and grabbed my bags. I was leaving Amy and Lou’s (daughter and son-in-law) to go work at their other house. I had spent the night after working the previous day at the house. At the door I saw my other cap- a newer cleaner version-on the shelf. Oh, I thought, I want to take this to wear after I finish working. What to do? I freed a hand and not having anywhere to conveniently place the second cap I stuck it on top of the cap already on my head intending to remove it after I loaded the car.

I drove into Leesburg via Dry Mill Road to avoid the delays on Route 7. Traffic at Loudoun High School was normal for a school day and I drove carefully watching for kids, traffic, and deer. It was rut season for the deer and we all know how high school students are in the Fall. At the elementary school on Catoctin Circle the speed limit was 15 MPH so I crepe through there. My routine- during the time I was helping with the house renovation- was to stop at MacDonalds for a small coffee and a sausage biscuit.

I walked into Macs and got in line for service. A young man gave me a passing glance as I moved forward in the line. An older woman sent me a longer look. When I got to the counter, the Hispanic lady stared at my head briefly then took my order. She backed away from me to the place where the food was kept, her eyes not leaving me, got the biscuit and the coffee cup, and leaned to put the order on the counter. What the heck is her problem, I wondered. I grabbed my order, filled the coffee cup with the correct mixture of sugar, cream, and coffee, put a lid on it and left.

It was good coffee. I drove to the house and unloaded my things. As I returned to the car for a second load the bill of my cap hit the top of the raised rear door. I reached up to adjust my cap and guess what I found

There were two caps on my head. Then I remembered.

Well, no wonder I received the stares and curious looks at MacDonalds and in traffic. I can only imagine what those folks thought of the man wearing two caps. Was he so busy he needed two hats? Had he just escaped from an institution? What was his problem? Was his head cold? Was he too good for one cap, oh, yes, he had to wear two caps!
Where was I….?

No comments: