Monday, March 5, 2007

March Madness

I watch college basketball. I do not watch the NBA, but if someone offered to pay me I would consider watching the pros. I think the college game is better, more fun, and reflects more of the good qualities of sports. In 2006 I faced a crucial test. My Tarheels played the Patriots of George Mason University.

I grew up in North Carolina and attended UNC-Chapel Hill. I recall watching the 1957 Tarheels beat the Kansas Jayhawks and Wilt Chamerlain for the national championship. I remember Dean Smith losing the 1977 championship game by over coaching his players. And in 1981 Indiana and Bobby Knight ripped the Tarheels for the championship. UNC won again in 1982, in 1993, and in 2005.

I graduated from George Mason and attended GMU Graduate School. So when the Patriots met the Tarheels in the second round of the 2006 tournament I was torn between the two schools. GMU won and became the media darlings by making it to the Final Four.

In 2007 the ACC tournament is wide open. Any one of 10 teams could win and get the automatic bid to the NCAA 65 team field. Since the ACC is the best conference in the country (the ACC won 8 of 11 games against the Big 10 this season), at least 8 ACC teams should recieve bids to the tournament.

Play ball!

No comments: